In June 2019, I joined the committee of Howard League Scotland having been a member for a number of years.
Howard League Scotland is an independent organisation, established in 1979 with a focus on penal reform and the broader questions of criminal justice and social policy. HLS wishes to see a Scotland where there is less crime, where prison is reserved for the most serious offenders, a reduced prison population and a greater use of alternatives to custody. More information about HLS can be found on their website by following the link.
Howard League Scotland prides itself on its independence from government and does not receive government funding. This allows them to be truly independent and to have a stronger voice when pushing for penal reform in Scotland. This means Howard League Scotland is reliant on its membership, donations, and grants from other organisations.
In April 2021, Howard League Scotland made an urgent plea to members and supporters for help to continue their important work campaigning for an improved penal system in Scotland. A link to that plea can be found here.
Howard League Scotland again needs urgent assistance to allow them to continue their vital campaigning work beyond the end of 2022. There are many ways to show your support for the continuation of their work. Here are a few suggestions from the Howard League Scotland website: –
- make a one-off donation of whatever amount you might be able to afford
- if you’re not already a member, please consider joining us. Full individual membership, and discounted rates are available for student, household and lifetime members. It is quick and easy to join us online
- if your employer or organisation is considering its support for local charities in the coming year, please consider nominating Howard League Scotland as a beneficiary of any fundraising activities. Corporate membership is also available as a simple way to provide ongoing support
- alternatively, maybe you could do some fundraising on our behalf? Are you planning a sponsored run? Some wild swimming? An online quiz night? If so, please consider donating the proceeds to Howard League Scotland
- perhaps you’re a professional fundraiser who could donate some of your time and expertise to help us? Or perhaps you know someone else who could do so?
- many organisations and online platforms (such as Amazon Smile) allow customers to donate a portion of spending to nominated charities. Maybe you could choose to nominate Howard League Scotland at no extra cost to you?
- whatever else you do, please also spread the word so that we can reach as many people as possible who may be interested in supporting our work. If you would like to share your fundraising activities or any other messages of support, and perhaps inspire others to get involved, you can find and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Alternatively, if you would like to share any thoughts or ideas privately, please feel free to contact our Treasurer: email@example.com.